Your Ad Here

Friday, January 15, 2010

Fabulous Find For A Friday------Black Adder Series


One of my favorite things to do is watch the BBC. I am a BBC junkie. A BBC American, if you will. I have watched their shows for many years.

I love British humor. I know, most folks would say that I am crazy, and they just don't get it....but I will always pick a British flick over American any day. Lets face it, history never quite feels the same when Hollywood gets a hold of it.

But I digress.

I really want to talk about their comedy. My love started with Monty Python. First, the weekly shows, then "The Holy Grail". The first time I saw their comedy, I felt that I had finally found something that I could relate to-----it was great!

Fast forward to several years later.....I saw one of my first Rowan Atkinson films.....I forget if it was the first Mr. Bean series, or what, but one of my favorite series was "The Black Adder".
I watched each week and fell more and more in love with the humor of Rowan and his pals. That was the first time I saw Hugh Laurie, who is magnificent as one of Rowan's side kicks. (He is also so funny in "Jeeves and Wooster"----with Stephen Fry----if you haven't seen it---check it out!)


Well, I got the entire set of Black Adder series for Christmas, and have re-lived each episode with my family, and had quite a few laughs. My little guy, Aydan, is now a big fan, and has watched his favorite ones several times now. (Just a note: There are some innuendos that may not be good for some kids---but my son doesn't get them-----yet...)


So----check them out on Netflix or get them at the video store, and be prepared to have some chuckles....or maybe full-out laughter!

Here are a few examples.....




And if you don't like British humor?


Well, I have nothing to say to you........

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day! I LOVED all the comment love and now I'm here to spread it around!

I still remember my mother telling me in the 70's when I was a kid. You watch crap, 10 of these shows can't touch 1 episode of Fawlty Towers, thank god I listened to her!

Christy said...

We own all the black adder dvds! My husband is british, so I got an introduction to them ages ago. So funny! I totally love british humor too!!!

Debbie said...

What a great idea for a Christmas gift! And yes, I do love that humor.

mCat said...

I just flashed back to Benny Hill!

Forgot how funny some of the British stuff is!

xoxox
M

Renaissance Woman said...

British humor is either hot or cold for me...but so glad that you find joy.

Suzanne said...

Mr. Bean was a staple in our home as my kids were growing up. Just thinking of him with the turkey stuck on his head makes me chuckle!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, New England Bloggers!

Our 1-year anniversary is coming up Jan 27. To mark the occasion I am going to put up a Mr. Linky on the evening of Mon, Jan 25. If you'd like to write a post about living in NE, your favorite places to visit, NE authors or books, whatever interests you. I'd also like a little idea of # of participants, if you could just send me a reply.
I apologize if you are getting this twice. Many people haven't given me emails so I have to leave it in the comments.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Wah, we don't get the BBC channel. I miss What Not to Wear with Trinney and I can't remember the other girl. They rock!

I love the British comedy's but never could watch the Holy Grail all the way through but I quote it!

Heather said...

There are some great british comedies on tv shows on netflix! I like to stream them instantly on the ol' xbox ;) And is that Hugh Laurie I spy????

Omgirl said...

Well, I hate to say it but I'm not a fan. My brother in law was a missionary in England and loves British humor. He's always trying to get me to watch it. but mostly I just think it's stupid. Don't hate me!!!

Jewels said...

Black Adder!! My sister and I used to watch that together when we were younger! It was always by chance, of course. We never remembered what channel or what night it was on, if we caught it we would clap and then go totally silent as to not miss a single word. I also remember watching "Are you being served?" and...and...what was that show called with the sisters that had flower names? Violet...Hyacinth Bouquet? Anyway, those Brits know what they're doing!

kado! said...

did you love the HBO series "Little Britain USA" ??? it was funny 90% of the time!

Lori said...

I love British humor! And I loved your post!

Thank you for stopping by and sharing my SITS day with me....

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Visiting from SITS and Wow, that is a lotta snow! Your little boy looks like he's having a Blast! Greetings from rainy Los Angeles.

tiburon said...

Is it a deal breaker if I tell you I don't like British humor?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin