Your Ad Here

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

So Many Plays And So LittleTime

But first.......I need to get something out of the way.

You blogging readers are awesome! After my meltdown from last week, I got so many encouraging comments and so much blogging love, that I felt truly that I had REAL friends out in this blogging world. I could really feel the love----thank you all!

I realize now----that some of the anxiety that I was experiencing on that rough day was part of hitting the wall after an extremely stressful week.

Let me explain a bit.

I am directing a play----a one-act, "The Marvelous Playbill". It has been stressful, as we have only been having rehearsals for one month and the play is set in 16th century Spain, so there has been a lot of costumes that have had to be made in a very short period of time. And since I don't have a costume person for that play, I have been managing the buying of material, patterns, finding amazing women that are willing to sew, and have had to try and keep everyone on track---as well as try to get accessories, and props, etc. The tech rehearsal was tonight, and the dress rehearsal is tomorrow night, with the play going up this weekend on Friday and Saturday night.

So, that is one of the plays that I have had to get everything done for-----by THIS week!


Then......I am also producing a play, "Rookery Nook" that is in rehearsals at MY theatre, The Cannon Theatre. So, I have helped the director with everything from marketing ideas to choreographing a small number in the play, as well as ticket sales, and oh......did I mention that I am also doing the costumes for this play? And yes, it is pretty fun, as the play is set in the late 1920's-----but I HAVE to get all the costumes done by this week, as I am going out of town......
....And this play goes up the first of November!


Now, there is more.

I have been reading plays, (well----I am always reading plays, truth be told...) as I will be having auditions for my NEW play at the theatre the first weekend of November----the same weekend that the other play opens. I have decided to do "James and the Giant Peach"----which is an amazing play for the whole family, and will be totally cast from kids to teens. But I have had to get the word out about the auditions, making new signs and flyers, as I get ready for this new directing task.

I'm excited to get going on it, but everything had to be done----yep, you guessed it....by this week.


Of course, all of this happened to be at the same time that I have had to find new music for my church choir-----yes, I am the director----and I try to get music that is different and memorable and yes,----just a bit difficult. We always host a big Christmas concert the beginning of December, and it requires quite a bit of work----so we have already started on that.


Now, please don't think that I am whining. Au contraire! I really LOVE to do all these things----and I actually thrive on a bit of stress. But------I think that it might have all happened a bit too close together.


Like.....well.....last week. Obvious meltdown.


But now, I would like to tell you about another play. I'm sure that I have mentioned that I have amazing children. (Like a thousand times...) And my oldest daughter, Hailey, was a theatre major at BYU. She still tries to do at least one play or musical a year, and I TRY to get back there to see them, if I can fit it into my insane schedule!
You remember that I said that I had to get everything done because I was going out of town?
Well, I am leaving next week to go to Utah and see Hailey in that wacky musical "Little Shop Of Horrors". She is playing Audrey, the lead, and well....I must admit......that it is one of the parts that I have always wanted to play, so I am living vicariously through her.

It will be marvelous! It will be fantastic!

Because after all this work and stress, I will be able to sit and enjoy someone else's hard work----and just be happy to take it all in.


Here is a "cheesy shot" (her words) advertising the play
at The Hale Center Theatre----yes---don't you just love
the bright red hair? Isn't she adorable?


****So, if you are in the Utah area, you will WANT to get tickets to come and see her marvelous performance!! Maybe I will see you there....I will be the relaxed one with a smile on my face.*****

18 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

I understand the stress, Shawn!

And you really DO have friends in the blogoverse!

I wish I was going to be in Utah. I'd definitely go see your daughter's play. Alas, I won't be up there anytime soon. But tell her to break a leg!

Helen said...

Hello! I'm stopping by from RollCall at SITS, you were right above me.

I am in sheer awe of all you accomplish and all you have on your to do this this week! I can't even imagine, but I understand when you say you thrive on a little bit of stress. I work best under pressure, too.

I hope everything works out for you, and that you get everything you need to do done! Enjoy your trip and your daughter :)

Syed said...

Woah, busy busy. But all of your hard work will have amazing results in the end :) Wow, I absolutely love James And The Giant Peach, it sounds like it should be fabulous. Hope you have a safe trip!! Yay for Little Shop of Horrors, and the red hair totally suits her ;)

Kristina P. said...

I can completely understand being overwhelmed.

And that play looks like so much fun!

mCat said...

You absolutley ASTOUND me! I don't know how you do it all. Your a talented package aren't you!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That is a lot to have on your plate. You were more than entitled to a meltdown. : )

Suzanne said...

You have stamina, girl! I'm so happy that you are following your dreams -- such a challenge, but worth it all the same! Congrats to your daughter too. She is adorable!

Angela said...

Relax and enjoy Haily! That is fantastic that she is still acting. Hey I left you awhile back about my Elizabeth getting going in the theater on Cannon Theater FB....Can we talk one day about her? She is 6...is it too soon....are you too far from me..recommendations for here in my town? She sings Wicked all day long....then Annie...then Les Mis..I have never had a performer, so don't know what to do at all. Have a great trip

kado! said...

You amaze me with your schedule!!! I hope everything comes together beautifully so that you will be able to enjoy your daughters play! How fun! ...and maybe meet some amazing UT bloggers! how fun!

La Mere Joie said...

You are doing enough for three people!!!! I don't blame you for being stressed out! Good luck with your play(s) and everything else! Just remember to breathe. It will all come together.

We are friends!
R

Omgirl said...

What a fun play for Hayley to be in! It's such a great one. Love it. Maybe we should make an evening of it!

Liz Aguerre said...

Wow, dropping by from SITS and your visit to my blog...glad I found yours. I am fascinated! Good luck with all of this. How cool is your life????????

Julie said...

You're awesome, Shawn (and SO talented!) Everything you do turns out fantastic - I look forward to seeing the "local" plays you're working on!

Hang in there and enjoy your time in Utah!!

Carma Sez said...

How do you possibly keep all these plays straight? And costuming and music. No wonder you are stressed out. I'd better not whine about having to assemble my son's Renaissance costume, especially since I doled out most of the work to my mom who is an amazing seamstress. I am such a lightweight! One kid to outfit and it becomes a huge ordeal. I bow down to you keeping it all together :D

And I hope you will be able to kick back and enjoy your daughter's play. She looks the part perfectly!

Alyson | New England Living said...

I don't know how you do it all! You are amazing! Love that you are following your dreams and living your passion.

Have fun in Utah! Your daughter is a doll in that photo!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

UMMMM WOW!!! That is crazy busy girl!

You deserved a meltdown!

I've been a bum at getting around so I wasn't here for your meltdown! SORRY!

Your daughter looks way adorable. Too bad I'm stuck south of the state or I would be able to meet ya! And your daughter!

Melissa B. said...

Perhaps you should investigate the Ben & Jerry's Stressbusters Diet? It's a Mrs. Scribe Original, and I'm happy to share. Hey, chica, hang in there...and break a leg!

Mom n Pop Wilson said...

Just reading tired me out.:) Have a great trip! Wish I could be there.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin