..."In my own little corner, in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be..."
Thursday, November 17, 2005
Dare to Do Right, Dare to Be True...
Alright now.......don't be thinking that this blog entry is about some scripture references or my spiritual experiences. Now don't get me wrong....I try just as hard as the next guy to do what is right, but I definitely can't preach on the matter.
No....this time I think that I will dwell on the second part of the title...
DARE TO BE TRUE!
I've been thinking lately (I know its a shock to my system, but I am between artistic work now, so I have time to think...) and I wonder how many of us do little bizarre things each day that we tell no one and everyone thinks is soooo taboo....or not taboo to some...
So,.....I have come up with a little quiz for you all to take...and I expect you to be true to yourselves and answer honestly....and thus....
DARE TO BE TRUE Quiz:
1. Before you put your clothes on for the day, how many of you actually check out your naked body in the mirror and scrutinize it? Do you tear yourself down or are you impressed by what you see?
2. How often do you REALLY exercise each week? Do you act like you do it everyday and then "flex" or "stretch" occasionally to prove your point to the listener, as you are bragging about how in shape you really are?
3. Do you really wash your feet everyday that you shower or take baths?
4. Do you sometimes check out the appearance and consistency of your own or your childrens excrement? (or do you do it ALWAYS?)
5. When no one is looking, or you are driving, do you take a quick pick at your nose...especially if there are some "crusties" that need removing...or you have a juicy one and don't have a kleenex handy?
6. Do you sometimes spit out your gum right by your car in a parking lot and then smile as you imagine the next person getting out of their car and stepping in it?
7. How often do you: a. Sing in the shower or with the radio and swear that you could be a star? b. Act out a scene from your favorite movie and know that you could be an "academy" award winner? c. After watching the Olympics----especially the skating (ok, maybe the guys can't relate...) do you do a few pirouettes, and know that you could have been a contender?
8. How often do you REALLY zone out when a friend or family member is telling you something and you realize that you haven't heard a word that they say and it would be tacky to tell them...so you smile and nod and make appreciative and empathetic sounds?
9. Do you ever eat something out of the fridge or freezer, that you know belongs to someone in the family or to your roommate and then deny that you know what happened to it? Or worse...not really care if they get miffed?
10. Have you ever looked at your phone when someone was calling you and seen that it was your husband, or wife, or your parents, or a best friend, or someone close to you, but not felt like talking to them and you didn't answer?
11. Do you ever sniff your clothes, evaluating whether they should be washed or not, or can you get just ONE more wearing out of them?
12. Are your pants or jeans ready to stand up by themselves, because you don't wash them enough? What about your socks? What about your SHEETS....ARE THEY CLEANED REGULARLY? (I'm washing mine today, so I feel superior...)
Ok, ok,....now to the evaluation...
If you answered "YES" (or "no" to question #3) to each of the questions and are disgusted by what you see in the mirror, I would say that you are pretty human and are TRUE to yourself. Thank you for breaking social and etiquette molds...just be careful to not cross over too much....i.e. watching every reality show on the tube and do it while drinking beer and stratching your private parts...
If you answered "YES" to half of the questions, you are probably just telling yourself that the questions are disgusting and you would NEVER do those things! So, go on ahead and keep lying to your self...
If you answered "No" to everything (and "yes" to question #3) and you are horrified with the morals and manners of people today...you are probably older than 60 and either secretly have always wanted to do everything mentioned, but have felt the restrictions of society, or you are truly a SPECIAL person and are the most boring, perfect person in the UNIVERSE!
There now...don't you feel better about yourself?
You may ask, as a reader, how I came up with the above questions for the quiz...and how would I answer them? Well......I have to plead the fifth.........