Your Ad Here

Monday, March 03, 2008

To Bathe Or Not To Bathe...



...or to shower or not to shower. Same difference.

As I was standing in the grocery line a few days ago, thinking about my evening ahead,---I was hosting a "Cooks Du Jour" night at my house (its a cooking class type church thing)----I noticed that an annoying smell kept permeating my thoughts. It wasn't exactly a "B O" smell, but more like the smell of unwashed hair and clothes that had been worn too many times without a good washing. I could have sworn that I could even tell what the couple (yes, they were standing behind me) had had for dinner the night before. It was there---I believe it was chinese or pork.



As I tried to turn the other way and breathe upwind of them, I started thinking about how many times a week that I am put into this situation and then that got me to wondering...

Are people not bathing or taking showers every day anymore?

Now, you have all read my pet peeves about the way society is not dressing up anymore and how it is so rare to see women look nice and wear makeup, but is it getting so bad that people don't have good hygiene either, anymore? I happen to think that if I don't take a shower every day-----at least----that I can HARDLY STAND myself, let alone anyone else having to stand being near me! This is even if I don't leave the house, people!! (well, there has been that day or two when I was really sick and stayed in bed, but that is about once every 5 years or so...)

And of course, it doesn't help that I happen to have the most acute sense of smell of anyone that I know. I can walk into the house and smell that there is something going bad in the fridge.... Really! I have been known to get on my hands and knees and smell the floor until I can find a pee spot from one of the four animals in my house. It will drive me crazy until I find it!

So, I guess that I happen to be more annoyed by this...ah....granola/grunge habit than the normal human being walking around. So, whats a girl to do? I try to smell good and keep my self clean and perfumed (only clean smells, though, can't stand those cloying over spicy matronly perfumes) and am not really surprised when people say to me, "Oh, you smell good!"

So, what do you think? Is it just my imagination or are we going back to our roots----you know, those pioneers who go for several months before they even take spit baths.

Let me know, because I need to prepare for the worst....

6 comments:

HaLaine said...

Wow. I just read a bunch of your posts and am so amazed by the life you lead! Not scared at all! Moreso wishing we were somehow related so you could tell me all your cool stories...then again, I suppose that's what blogging is all about. I grew up in a very theatrical, musical, single-parent home and love the life I have lead. You seem to be the epitome of what my own mother wishes she could have been...right down to wanting that fame part! But alas, what very little I know of your daughter is amazing as well, and rest assured I will check back often.

HaLaine said...

As for your post, amen to that. I promised my husband that I would never go to the store in sweats. So far, I have held true. But there are days when I want to and those are the days I always run into someone. As for smell, ever since baby #1, I have bloodhound nose and though annoying at times, it proves quite useful at others. In any case, you are a stunningly beautiful women and the few pictures I have seen radiate sass and confidence. You are my new hero!

Hailey said...

Oh don't worry, Hannah, you are as of now unofficially "adopted" into our family. I know my mom...

Also, I don't know how you can deal with the animal pee. I would just put my head under the covers and GIVE UP! (But of course I have to constantly deal with lots of tiny humans'pee)

Shawn said...

Yay! Great to "meet" you, Hannah! As Hailey said---I will adopt you any time... :)

My life is crazy, but fun...sometimes. I am never bored, thats for sure.

And as for hanging with you---I am looking forward to really meeting you when I come out West again---June, maybe?

Or our door is always open for anyone that wants the true New England experience!

For more family pics, check out the family blog----cannonbaheclan.blogspot.com- -even though I haven't had time to update it past Thanksgiving---darn pictures don't always work----arrrgghhh!

Be sure and check back for my last weekend experience----CRAZY, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you two girls. Maybe wearing make-up is fun...when you are pretty. But maybe some people don't like it staring up at them from their cheeks, making a mockery of their age spots and lack of symmetry. And maybe some people go to the store in sweats or scrubs because they have worked three 14 hour all nighters in a row in Ogden and got a speeding ticket somewhere outside Lehi at 6 AM and woke up at noon to find no one did the laundry in their absence and there's no bread for lunch. It's hard to throw on dirty jeans and some cover girl with three and a half hours sleep and a sore throat. I'd loooove to be able to put on make-up every day and pull out a fresh pair of Sevens to go with my blouse. But... I'm not that girl. On my days off I throw on my work gloves and rip out toilets and rotten sub flooring. So I'd love to pick up a copy of Fascinating Womanhood and study-up but I'm too busy with, Basic Woodworking: How to Decorate With Architectural Trimwork. But if you just smile blankly at me in the Harmons until you get out to your Escalade in the parking lot and THEN laugh behind my back, I'll never know.

Shawn said...

Dear anonymous,
Thanks for your words of wisdom, but actually, I have been in all those situations----really! And I usually manage to still take a shower and at least put lip gloss and mascara on---and crawl into an outfit that matches...
Sorry, but I guess I'm as vain as they come!
Glad to have you reading, though!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin