Your Ad Here

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I'm So Vain. I Probably Think This Blog Is About Me


I was hanging with my band mates a few weeks ago, and having a conversation about meeting new people and sizing them up. I had just met the girlfriend of our new keyboard player, who is a totally gorgeous and put together gal, and I mentioned that fact to her, as I am not one to mince words when I like someone's style. I told her and the keyboard player that I was into what people looked like and how they put themselves together. I don't care what kind of style it is, I just admire someone that HAS a sense of style in this world of jeans, sweats, and work-out wear for day wear.

So, the keyboard player laughed and said, "Oh, so you are just shallow and vain like we are---we should all get along great!

Now, I answered in the affirmative, and laughed it off, but I don't like the fact that he thought that I was shallow. I'm really not, as I have quite a hidden depth to me, when it comes to family and spiritual stuff, and I really DO try to get to know someone and appreciate them for who they are on their inside....BUT the part about the vanity...well...he is dang right about that one!

I am going through a phase right now that I like to call my "just don't ever look into the mirror closely before you have your makeup on or after its off" phase. I am really SCARY before I have my face on and its hard to get a girl feeling good about herself when she looks like that!

I believe that I have mentioned before in a former blog that I never go anywhere with out my makeup on. I mean----no where!

The only exception is when I wait with my son in the morning for the bus. I used to put my lips on and a bit of mascara just so I didn't scare the bus driver, but then I thought about the fact that when I wait for the bus to pick him up, I look totally put together, so she would just forget about how scary I was in the morning and think that I cleaned up nice.

Or, maybe that I have a twin sister? Or that it is my younger sister that picks him up?

Well, I really try not to let anyone I know---except for close family---see me without my makeup on. My vanity is serious business. I mean, I could take you out for something like that.

My husband just informed me that one of the guys that works at the shop that he used to work at lives right down the street from us. "Oh," I said, not really listening or caring. "Yeah, he asked me what you and Aydan were doing, standing out by the street corner in the mornings?"

"WHAT?" I cried. "A friend of yours has seen me on several mornings looking like a bag lady with my sweats on, no makeup and mismatched scarf, hat and gloves?"

"Yes", he replied.

"What's his address..." Oh, yeah...I'm takin him down...

3 comments:

Hailey said...

I have gone to the store a few times without make-up but it is ALWAYS traumatic for me...

Elly said...

When I once pointed out to some guy friends in college that I wasn't wearing makeup that day, they said, "You wear make-up? We thought you were one of those girls who just looked good without it." I was never quite sure what to make of that comment... Were they really saying I always looked plain no matter how much make-up I was wearing? Hmmm...

Shawn said...

Trust me, Elly---there would never be any doubt that you wouldn't notice whether I had makeup on or not!!

And I think that you do probably have such a natural beauty that you look great with or with out makeup...

Lucky you!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin