Your Ad Here

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Summertime and the Livin' Is Easy...or Not!


I realized yesterday, as I was driving back and forth, again, from Massachusetts to New Hampshire, that I have no life besides working---teaching voice, painting the house, cleaning my apartment, (the one that we just moved out of) moving, unpacking boxes, (the ones that have consumed our new "old" house), singing on the weekends, (so that involves driving all day on most Saturdays) band rehearsals, and working on trying to get MORE work for the fall.

As I talk to my students about their trips to New York, or Maine, or "the Cape", or even Cancaun, and their day trips to the beach or the mountains or to "the Cape", I realize that Bret and I are not going on a vacation this year, and I have not taken Aydan on one single day trip yet this summer. How pitiful and pathetic is that?

Ok, so I have taken him to the library three times----I guess that counts, doesn't it? But then I guess that I should admit that I fell asleep at the library yesterday, sitting scrunched up on the sofa, drooling for all the kiddies to see... (I can imagine their conversations with their Mom's later..."Mom, why was there a dead lady on the library sofa?" "Was she really dead, because I think that she had something coming out of her mouth!") Aydan, of course, was oblivious, as he sat reading his "Nate, the Great" books. (These are his favorites right now---so much adventure for a six year old!) Thank goodness that it took about 20 minutes for him to read a really long one, as I got a much needed rest, and then woke up to, "Wasn't that cool, Mom?" "Yes", I replied, "The best one that I've heard yet!" (I figured that he wouldn't quiz me on it, so I was safe...)

So, school starts in about 2 1/2 weeks and I still haven't done any of the things that I wanted to do this summer...

I wanted to go to Canobie Lake with Bret and Aydan,(it's an amusement park/park) go to the Art Museum with Aydan and Maryn, (we are now members of the MFA and they are having a great showing of "Americans in Paris"---oh, how I want to see this one!) take Aydan to the beach, at least, once, visit at least one other museum,(science would be fun) and then Bret wanted to go to the aquarium with us sometime...

Oh well, at least Aydan and I have gotten to eat out a lot this summer. (We don't have a kitchen...and I have issued the ultimatum to Bret that I am NOT cooking until I have a kitchen...we'll see how long it lasts...) So I am sure that he will remember this summer as the one that he got a lot of "happy meal" type toys. (Even though I despise McDonalds and try to go everywhere else that I can think of that is healthier---but they still all have kid's meals with toys)

And to think that this was the year that I wanted to go to Europe. I wanted to celebrate my birthday in style this year, seeing all the sights, roaming the English countryside, visiting London,(I am a BBC American, after all...) trying new fare at the open markets and restaurants, and checking out all the historical places that I have so much longed to see all my life...

I guess that I will plan this trip for next year... And I will save my money, do good deeds, be a perfect mother, never swear or yell, never talk badly about anyone, exercise everyday, eat only healthy foods and take Aydan to the beach four times next summer... Uh, huh,...that's just what I will do...

2 comments:

Hailey said...

Sounds like a good plan...

Brinna said...

Right...

I just saw a flock of pigs fly by my window...

Ha ha just kidding! I would love to go to Europe again but I know I'll never afford it in this lifetime...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin